TJX SWOT Analysis Analyzes, The TJX Cos., Inc. engages in the retail of off-price apparel and home fashion products. It operates through the following segments: Marmaxx, HomeGoods, TJX Canada, and TJX International. The Marmaxx segment sells family apparel including apparel, home fashions, and other merchandise. The HomeGoods segment offers assortment of home fashions, including furniture, rugs, lighting, soft home, decorative accessories, tabletop and cookware as well as expanded pet, kids, and gourmet food departments.
Did You Know?
The company modified the name to TK Maxx to avoid confusion with the established British retail chain T. J. Hughes (which is not affiliated with TJX).
The TJX Companies is one of the largest global retail chains and is the leading apparel and footwear retailer worldwide. Some of their best-known brands include HomeGoods, Marshalls, T.J. Maxx/T.K. Maxx, and Winners. TJX stores specialize in selling discounted apparel and footwear, home furnishings, beauty products, and cookware, among many other products. In 2019, TJX Companies operated over 4,300 stores worldwide, up from about 3,200 stores in 2014, with T.J. Maxx having the highest number of locations at 1,252.
This can only be achieved through a firm with extensive knowledge, experience and innovative strategies. To determine the strengths of the company potential, weaknesses, opportunities and threats, it is necessary to conduct a SWOT analysis by TJX.
TJX At A Glance – TJX SWOT Analysis
Company: TJX Companies, Inc.
Founders: Bernard Cammarata
Year of establishment: 1987, Framingham, Massachusetts, United States
CEO: Ernie Herrman
Headquarters: Framingham, Massachusetts, United States
Employees (Dec 2020): 270,000
Ticker Symbol: TJX
Annual Revenue (Dec 2020): US$32.1 Billion
Profit net income (Dec 2020): US$326 Million
Products & Services: HomeGoods | HomeSense | Sierra in the United States | Marshalls | Winners in Canada
Company Website: www.tjx.com
Competitors: Target | L Brands | Ross Stores | Bed Bath | Beyond | Ascena Retail Group
TJX SWOT Analysis – SWOT Analysis Of TJX
SWOT Analysis Of TJX analyzes the brand based on its strengths weak points, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. With TJX SWOT Analysis it is clear that the advantages and disadvantages are internal factors, while threats and opportunities are external elements. Here we are going to talk about TJX SWOT Analysis. Below Is The Detailed SWOT Analysis Of TJX.
TJX Strengths – TJX SWOT Analysis
- Reliable suppliers, It has a solid base of reliable suppliers of raw materials. This allows the company to get around any bottlenecks in the supply chain.
- Outstanding performance in new Markets Excellent Performance in New Markets TJX has developed expertise in opening new markets and achieving successful use of these markets. The expansion has allowed the company create new revenue streams and diversify its risks of the economy in the markets it is operating in.
- Excellent Returns on Capital expenditure The company has a good return on capital expenditure TJX has been relatively successful in the implementation of new projects. It has also delivered high returns on capital expenditure through the creation of additional revenue streams.
- A Strong Cash Flow TJX has strong cash flows, which provide funds for TJX to expand into new ventures.
- Highly skilled workforce thanks to successful educational and training programs. TJX invests huge funds in the training and development of its employees, resulting in an employee pool that is not just highly skilled but also driven to reach more.
- Solid Brand Portfolio Through the years, TJX has invested in the development of an impressive brand portfolio. The SWOT analysis conducted by TJX is a good example of this. The brand portfolio could be extremely beneficial when a company is looking to enter different product lines.
- Automating processes has ensured consistency in the quality of TJX products, and enabled the company to expand and reduce its size based on the demands of the market.
- Customer satisfaction is high The company, with its dedicated department for managing customer relations is able to attain an extremely high level of satisfaction from its existing customers as well as an excellent brand image among prospective customers.
TJX Weaknesses – TJX SWOT Analysis
- Not very effective in the integration of firms with different cultures. In the past, although TJX has been successful in merging small businesses, it has its fair share of failures to integrate firms that have different working styles.
- Days inventory is very high compared to competitors, which makes TJX raise more capital to invest in the channel. This could influence the expansion of TJX
- There are gaps in the assortment offered through the firm. This is a problem that could allow a new competitor to gain an advantage on the market.
- The company hasn’t been capable of tackling the issues presented by the new entrants in the sector and has also lost a small market share in specific categories. TJX needs to develop an internal feedback system directly from its sales staff on the ground to overcome these issues.
- The financial planning process isn’t done correctly and effectively. The current ratio of an asset to liquidity asset ratio indicates the company could use the cash more effectively than it does in the present.
- Poor in forecasting demand for its products, results in a higher percentage of missed opportunities compare to its competition. One reason for the inventory levels of the days being higher relative to its rivals is due to the fact that TJX is not great in forecasting demand and ends with a higher inventory, both in-house and through channels.
- The structure of the organization is suitable for the current business model and limits the expansion of adjacent product categories.
TJX Opportunities – TJX SWOT Analysis
- Lower inflation rate – The lower inflation rate provides more stability to the market and permits credit with a lower rate to clients of TJX.
- New markets are opening up due to a government agreement the introduction of a new technology standard and the government’s accord on free trade has given TJX the chance to gain entry into the market of a new and emerging.
- Recent trends in consumer behavior could create new markets for TJX. This is a fantastic opportunity for the business to develop new revenue streams, and broaden its product offerings, too.
- The development in the market could result in a diminution of the competition’s advantages and will allow TJX to improve its competitiveness compared to other competitors.
- Environmental policies that are changing – These opportunities will provide an equal playing field to players in the market. This is a fantastic chance for TJX to highlight its competitive advantage with new technologies and increase sales in the emerging category of products.
- New customers have come from the online channels – In the last few years, the company has invested huge amounts of money in the online platform. This investment has created a new channel of sales for TJX. In the coming years TJX can capitalize on this opportunity by understanding the customer better and addressing their needs with massive data-driven analytics.
- The reduction in transportation costs because of lower shipping costs can lower the cost of TJX’s merchandise, thereby offering a chance to the company to increase its profits or to pass the savings to customers in order to increase market share.
- An increase in economic growth and customers’ spending, following years of economic recession and slow growth rates in the business, presents an ideal opportunity for TJX to attract new customers and grow its market share.
TJX Threats – TJX SWOT Analysis
- New regulations on the environment under the Paris accord (2016) could pose an issue for certain categories of products.
- The shortage of skilled workers in certain markets around the world is an obstacle to the constant growth in profits for TJX in these markets.
- Innovative technologies developed by a market disruptor or competitor could pose a major risk to the industry in the near to medium-term future.
- There is no regular supply of new products. Over time, the company has created a variety of products, but they are usually a in response to developments of other companies. The supply of new products isn’t regularly occurring, which results in large and low variations in sales numbers over a period of time.
- Stable profitability – Intense competition has seen a rise in companies in the industry over these two years. This has resulted in downward pressure on profitability, not just but also overall sales.
- Impersonation of counterfeit products and inferior quality products poses a risk to the product of TJX, particularly in emerging markets and markets with low income.
- Because the company is operating in a variety of countries, it is subject to currency fluctuations, particularly given the unstable political climate in many markets around the globe.
- Local distributors’ growing power could pose a threat to certain markets since the competitors are paying higher prices to local distributors.
TJX SWOT Analysis Template
This is the SWOT report that TJX has done. Please let us know if you have additional suggestions to add.
Let us know What do you think? Did you find the article interesting?
Write about your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.