Publix Supermarkets SWOT Analysis Analyzes, Publix a privately or employee-owned and America-based supermarket chains. The company, known for the grocer retails was founded in 1930 by George W. Jenkins and is now headquartered in Lakeland, Florida, united states. The main products of the company includes Bakery, prepared foods, deli, sea foods, diary, produce, meat, pharmacy, Green Wise, PIX, money orders, lottery tickets, snacks, sushi, fuel, liquor and general grocery.
Did You Know?
Publix is the largest employee-owned grocery store in the United States.
Publix Supermarkets was founded in 1930 by George W. Jenkins. It is a private corporation that is wholly owned by present and past employees and members of the Jenkins family. It is the largest and fastest-growing employee-owned supermarket chain in the United States. As of 2019, it employed almost 202,000 people at its 1,211 supermarkets, cooking schools, corporate offices, grocery distribution centers and manufacturing facilities.
It provides various grocery products, including dairy, produces, deli, bakery, meat, and seafood; and health and beauty care, general merchandise, pharmacy, floral, among other products and services.
This can only be achieved through a firm with extensive knowledge, experience and innovative strategies. To determine the strengths of the company potential, weaknesses, opportunities and threats, it is necessary to conduct a SWOT analysis by Publix Supermarkets.
Publix Supermarkets At A Glance – Publix Supermarkets SWOT Analysis
Company: Publix Supermarkets, Inc.
Founders: George W. Jenkins
Year of establishment: 6 September 1930, Winter Haven, Florida, US
CEO: Todd Jones
Headquarters: Lakeland, Florida, United States
Employees (Dec 2020): 225,000
Ticker Symbol: PUSH
Annual Revenue (Dec 2020): US$44.9 Billion
Profit net income (Dec 2020): US3.01 Billion
Products & Services: Grocery Delivery & Pickup | Shop from anywhere and schedule grocery delivery | Bakery | Deli | Meat | Seafood | Produce | Floral | Dairy products | Baked and goods | confectionery items | Dry fruits | Soft drinks | Alcoholic beverages
Company Website: www.publix.com
Top Publix Supermarkets Competitors
Competitors: Whole Foods Market | Target | Walmart | Harris Teeter | Kroger | Winn Dixie | Carrefour | Sprouts Farmers Markets | Seven & Holding | Knight Transportation | Albertsons
Publix Supermarkets SWOT Analysis – SWOT Analysis Of Publix Supermarkets
SWOT Analysis Of Publix Supermarkets analyzes the brand based on its strengths weak points, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. With Publix Supermarkets SWOT Analysis it is clear that the advantages and disadvantages are internal factors, while threats and opportunities are external elements. Here we are going to talk about Publix Supermarkets SWOT Analysis. Below Is The Detailed SWOT Analysis Of Publix Supermarkets.
Publix Supermarkets Strengths – Publix Supermarkets SWOT Analysis
- Highly skilled workforce, thanks to effective education and training programs. Publix Supermarkets is investing enormous resources into the developing and training its employees. This results in an employee pool that is not just highly skilled, but also driven to do more.
- Proven track record of creating new products , product innovations and products.
- Outstanding performance in new Markets Superb Performance in New Markets Publix Supermarkets has built the ability to enter new markets and achieving success of these markets. This expansion has enabled the company to create a new revenue streams and diversify its economic risk of the markets that it operates in.
- Solid Brand Portfolio Through the years, Publix Supermarkets has invested in building a robust brand portfolio. This SWOT assessment for Publix Supermarkets just underlines this point. The brand portfolio is very beneficial if the company intends to diversify into new categories of products.
- A strong dealer community has created a culture of dealers and distributors in which dealers don’t just market the products of the company, but also train the sales staff to show the client how they can get the most value from the product.
- A strong distribution network – Through the years, Publix Supermarkets has built an effective distribution system that is able to reach the majority of its market.
- High Returns on Capital Investment The company has a good return on capital expenditure Publix Supermarkets is relatively efficient in the execution of new projects . It has also generated positive returns on capital expenditures through the creation of fresh revenue streams.
- Experienced track record of successfully the integration of complementary companies through mergers and acquisitions. It has successfully integrated a number of tech companies over the last few years to simplify its operations and establish a solid supply chain.
Publix Supermarkets Weaknesses – Publix Supermarkets SWOT Analysis
- The company isn’t capable of tackling the issues that are being faced by new players in the market and has also lost market share in small-scale categories. Publix Supermarkets has to develop an internal feedback system directly from sales staff on the ground to overcome these issues.
- The amount invested on Research and Development is below the top performers in the field. Although Publix Supermarkets is spending more than the average industry for Research and Development, it hasn’t been able to compete with top companies in the market in regards to technological innovation. It appears to be an established company that is looking to launching products that are based on the tried and tested products on the market.
- Insufficiently successful in the integration of firms that have a different culture. In the past, while Publix Supermarkets is successful in integrating small firms, there is a fair amount of failures when it comes to merging companies with a different workplace way of life.
- Poor at forecasting demand for products, which results in a greater chance of missing opportunities compared to its competition. One of the reasons the inventory levels on days are higher in comparison to competitors is due to the fact that Publix Supermarkets is not well-equipped to forecast demand and consequently has a higher inventory in both its in-house and outside channels.
- The promotion of the product left much to be wanted. Although the product may be an excellent product in terms of sales, its positioning and distinctive selling point isn’t well identified, which can result in attacks on this market from competitors.
- The organizational structure can only be in line with the present business model and limits expansion of adjacent product categories.
- A high rate of attrition in the employees – in comparison to other companies in the sector Publix Supermarkets is able to boast a high attrition rate and must invest more money compared to its competition in developing and training its employees.
Publix Supermarkets Opportunities – Publix Supermarkets SWOT Analysis
- The opening of new markets due to a government agreement the introduction of a new technology standard and the government’s freedom of trade agreements has given Publix Supermarkets an opportunity to be a part of a brand new market.
- The green drive of the government also provides the possibility of purchasing Publix Supermarkets products by the state, as and Federal government agencies.
- Lower inflation rate – The lower inflation rate provides more stability to the market, permit credit at a lower rate for clients who shop at Publix Supermarkets.
- The development in the market will result in the dilution of competition’s advantages and will allow Publix Supermarkets to increase its competitiveness in comparison to other competitors.
- The new technology gives the opportunity for Publix Supermarkets to practices distinct pricing strategies in the current market. It will help the company to retain its loyal customers by providing excellent service, and also attract new customers with other worthwhile offerings.
- The latest trends in consumer’s behavior could create a new markets for Publix Supermarkets . This presents a fantastic opportunity for the business to develop new income streams and diversify into new categories of products too.
- New customers are coming from the online channels – In the last few years, the company has invested a huge amount of money in the online platform. This investment has led to the opening of a an entirely new sales channel for Publix Supermarkets. In the coming years, Publix Supermarkets will be able to profit from this opportunity by understanding its customers better and addressing their needs through massive data-driven analytics.
- The tax reforms could dramatically alter the method of conducting business. It could also create new opportunities for established companies like Publix Supermarkets to increase its profits.
Publix Supermarkets Threats – Publix Supermarkets SWOT Analysis
- Stable profitability – Intense competition has increased the number players in the market over the these two years. This has resulted in lower pressure on profitability, not just but also on sales overall.
- The rising cost of raw materials could be danger to Publix Supermarkets profits.
- Insufficient skilled labor force in certain global markets is an obstacle to the constant growth in profits of Publix Supermarkets in those markets.
- The company could be sued in a variety of markets, due to the different laws and constant fluctuations regarding the quality of products sold in those markets.
- New environmental regulations in the Paris accord (2016) could pose the threat to some existing product categories.
- The latest technologies developed by the company’s competitor or market disruptor could pose a significant risk to the industry in the the near-to-long term.
- The demand for high-profitable products is seasonal and any unpredictable event that occurs during peak seasons could have an impact on the profits of the business in the short to medium term.
- The rising pay rate, particularly movements like $15 an hour and the rising costs in China could put severe impact on the financial performance for Publix Supermarkets.
This is the SWOT report that Publix Supermarkets has done. Please let us know if you have additional suggestions to add.
Let us know What do you think? Did you find the article interesting?
Write about your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.