The PlayStation was released in Japan in December 1994, and it made its American debut in September 1995; both releases elicited critical acclaim and impressive sales. Titles such as Twisted Metal and Ridge Racer were very popular. By 2005 the PlayStation had become the first console ever to ship 100 million units.
This can only be achieved through a firm with extensive knowledge, experience and innovative strategies. To determine the strengths of the company potential, weaknesses, opportunities and threats, it is necessary to conduct an SWOT analysis by PlayStation.
PlayStation At A Glance – PlayStation SWOT Analysis
Company:Sony Interactive Entertainment
Year of establishment: December 1994, Japan
CEO: Jim Ryan
Headquarters: San Mateo, California
Employees (Dec 2020): 10,000
Ticker Symbol: SONY
Annual Revenue (Dec 2020):$8.4 billion
Profit net income (Dec 2020):$3.23 billion
Products & Services: PlayStation | PlayStation Plus | PlayStation Store | PlayStation | PlayStation®4 | PlayStation®5 | Movie streaming | Free purchases
Company Website: www.playstation.com
Competitors: XBox | Hulu | Twitch Interactive | HUYA | iflix | Netflix | iQiyi | DAZN | Facebook
PlayStation SWOT Analysis
SWOT Analysis Of PlayStation analyzes the brand based on its strengths weak points, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. With PlayStation SWOT Analysis it is clear that the advantages and disadvantages are internal factors, while threats and opportunities are external elements. Here we are going to talk about PlayStation SWOT Analysis. Below Is The Detailed SWOT Analysis Of PlayStation.
PlayStation Strengths – PlayStation SWOT Analysis
1. Games that are exclusive: One of the biggest advantages for an SWOT analysis of Sony PlayStation is the collection of exclusive games that are accessible on the PS only. God of wars, Uncharted and many other games are a favorite of gamers , and are exclusively accessible exclusively on PlayStation. Because of this, the platform is sold out instantly due to the fact that gamers want to play and enjoy this exclusive game. Indeed, many gamers own both Xbox and PlayStation.
2. Handheld variations: The PSP as well as PlayStation Vita are handheld variants of the PlayStation and Nintendo, which are not available from the case of both Xbox or Nintendo. They also are a little percentage of the market which contributes in the total share of markets of PlayStation. PlayStation brand.
3. Targeted by Game developers: PlayStation because of it’s popularity is heavily sought-after by Game developers like Ubisoft as well as Electronic arts as well as other. Since PlayStation is the leader in market and game developers are the first to play their games on PlayStation to ensure smooth gaming.
4. Dual-shock controllers: Although Xbox has a large controller, which is to its advantage PlayStation comes with dual-shock controllers that are adored by PlayStation gamers. They believe they can feel that dual-shock technology can enhance the fun and enjoyment of playing games.
5. PlayStation Move technology: PlayStation Move technology is the solution to Wii remotes as well as the Kinect from Microsoft. Gamers are in love with the technology of moving that can assist you in playing different sports and other kinds of games.
6. Higher Backward compatibility: The HTML0 version of HTML0 has a higher backward compatibility. PlayStation has done its best to look after its older games and consoles by offering a better backward compatibility. PlayStation has announced a new service that makes it allow gamers to play older PlayStation games with a modern PlayStation console.
7. Resolution of 4K: The only console that has reached 4K resolution as of the date of the 2017 launch. Xbox is working to be the first to catch up with the display with 4K resolution, however PlayStation already has the capability to support four-inch resolution display and resolution.
8. The 2nd most effective option to PC: PlayStation is the 2nd most popular choice to game. PC is clearly the top choice.
9. A monthly plan to use online gaming: While Xbox has a plan for quarterly gaming to provide online gaming services PlayStation offers a month-long plan to its players for their online gaming services.
PlayStation Weaknesses – PlayStation SWOT Analysis
1. Prices of games: The cost of games is more expensive when compared with Xbox as well as the skimming method is employed. In actuality, a large number of PC gamers have opted to ditch their consoles and are playing games on PC due to the high cost of gaming.
2. PC is leaps ahead of the curve in technological advancements: in addition to the cost and cost advantages players on PCs also enjoy an advantage over consoles since a premium PC has a higher resolution and gaming technologies than the most recent PlayStation. PCs are always ahead of the console with regards to technology. This influences the console market and consequently its top selling product – the PlayStation.
3. Regular upgrades: Consoles operate as closed operating systems and frequently update hardware, it means that the console needs to be upgraded. After a console has been upgraded, games are designed for the most recent console, and not the older model. In the end, players must compromise by replacing the console every couple of years which can be a significant cost and is a major issue for players.
4. Keyboard support is not adequate: While PlayStation offers the keyboard and mouse to competitors on PC gaming however, the keyboard support and the mouse’s aiming aren’t adequate and the experience isn’t the same as that on television.
PlayStation’s Opportunities – PlayStation SWOT Analysis
1. Virtual Reality: The whole gaming industry is ready for virtual reality that is being made available by Oculus Rift which is owned by the company of Facebook. Virtual reality is not just going to aid in gaming, but it could also be a platform for social interaction. This means that the leading console brand will be able to expand rapidly within the market if it decides to launch the first virtual reality gaming console. The battle for Virtual Reality games will soon start however Sony PlayStation will have the advantage due to its the existing sales channel.
2. The rise of gaming across the globe: Gaming is becoming more widely used and being embraced in emerging and developing market. This increase in gaming is a boon for a company such as PlayStation which has an impressive distribution within the market.
3. Online gaming: Gaming online is growing and PlayStation is already a substantial presence in this field, which will only increase over the next few years.
4. Additional exclusive games: The exclusive games have assisted PlayStation keep its top position on the console market throughout the globe. Every day, they release better and better exclusive titles will aid PlayStation in the next few years to keep its position as a leader.
5. Subscription-based films and games: Similar to Netflix as well as Amazon Prime, Sony will also allow games and movies on it’s PlayStation platform.
PlayStation’s Threats – PlayStation SWOT Analysis
1. Sales of consoles are declining: One of the biggest threats for PlayStation is the decrease in the amount of consoles sold each year between 2010 and the present. The drop in sales is an obvious signal of gamers becoming less interested in consoles and embracing Mobile games in increasing numbers.
2. Market maturing: The market is getting more mature, with most gamers having either Xbox, PlayStation or Nintendo. This is particularly true for the markets in the developed world where amount of disposable earnings is very high.
3. PC gaming is robust: PC gaming is the most powerful due to the technological advantages of PC and due to the lower costs of games available on PC.
4. Mobile Gaming: Mobile is a massive indirect rival to PlayStation. Mobile phones are becoming better and more efficient day-to-day to offer games that excel in terms of graphics. Soon, mobiles can cast games onto TVs and users are able to directly connect the phone and television for gaming. So the biggest threat indirect to the entire console market and , consequently, to PlayStation is the market for mobile gaming.
This is our SWOT report that PlayStation has done. Please let us know if you have additional suggestions to add.
Let us know What do you think? Did you find the article interesting?
Write about your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.