SWOT Analysis Of Pedigree analyzes, Pedigree Petfoods is a completely owned subsidiary of the confectionery giant Mars with its headquarters at Virginia, USA. The world of pet food is always associated to its name Pedigree, the company’s trade brand for dog foods that it sells. They also offer cat food under the brand name Whiskas and is an undisputed market-leading company in both categories. A highly popular brand, the company gained success due to its strong connection to name brands and also due to the recommendations of top veterinarians around the globe. The Pedigree dog food is available in various forms such as dry, wet, senior and puppy food. The company claims to be the one pet food that gives healthy and balanced nutrition for your pet that is easy to consume. It is available made up of capsules or granules. It is served as in its own form or mixed into milk.
Did you know?
Pedigree is a plant-based dry dog food using a modest amount of poultry by-product or meat and bone meals as its main sources of animal protein.
In 1934, Mars Limited, a division of the large American confectionery company, that had been based in Slough since 1932, acquired Chappel Brothers in Manchester. This company took low-quality meat and canned it as dog food, branded as “Chappie”. Now it is a subsidiary of American group Mars and headquartered is in McLean, Virginia, U.S. Pedigree believes that the lovable innocence found in every dog helps us reconnect with our true selves and teaches us valuable life lessons. dogs make us better people. The company manufacture dry and wet dog food and treats encourage, support, fortify and fuel a dog’s power to be their healthiest and happiest selves at every stage of life — puppy, adult and senior.
This can only be achieved through a firm with extensive knowledge, experience, and innovative strategies. To determine the strengths of the company potential, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats, it is necessary to conduct a SWOT analysis by Pedigree.
Pedigree At A Glance – Pedigree SWOT Analysis
Company: Mars Incorporated
Founders: Forrest Mars
Year of establishment: 1957
CEO: Wade Wilson
Headquarters: McLean, Virginia, United States
Employees (Dec 2020): 40,000
Ticker Symbol: MARS
Annual Revenue (Dec 2020):US$1 Billion
Profit net income (Dec 2020): US$372 Million
Products & Services: Royal Canin Dog Food | Pedigree Dentastix | Pedigree Dog Food | Pedigree Dog Treats | Pedigree PRO Dog Food | Pedigree Wet Dog Food
Company Website: www.pedigree.com
Top Pedigree Competitors
Competitors: Alpo | TMW Systems | Kuebix | 3Gtms
Pedigree SWOT Analysis – SWOT Analysis Of Pedigree
SWOT Analysis Of Pedigree analyzes the brand based on its strengths weak points, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. With Pedigree SWOT Analysis it is clear that the advantages and disadvantages are internal factors, while threats and opportunities are external elements. Here we are going to talk about Pedigree SWOT Analysis. Below Is The Detailed SWOT Analysis Of Pedigree.
Pedigree Strengths – Pedigree SWOT Analysis
1. Customer Trust: Pedigree through its quality product, credible endorsements, and support for social causes has been able to win the trust of the customer which in turn has resulted in high brand equity.
2. Deep understanding of customer needs: Pedigree deals with a category of customers who cannot express what they want. So their target is more the pet owner and their perception of what their pets need. Through a very successful positioning of a fast and easy to consume balanced pet food, the brand has been able to define exactly what its customer wants. This is their biggest strength.
3. Focus on social causes: Pedigree has always been associated with a lot of causes such as massive pet adoption drives, shelters for abandoned animals and free nutrition for stray pets. Their strong support for such causes has strengthened the brand association and one of their strongest campaigns ever is the donation for helping dogs find a home.
4. Emotional advertising campaigns: It is a well-known fact that Pedigree advertisements often strike an emotional chord in the minds of pet lovers. Through advertisements that focus on the bonding between a dog and its owner the pet food brand has been able to take a place in the minds of its customers.
Pedigree Weaknesses – Pedigree SWOT Analysis
1. Lack of strong presence in emerging markets: Pedigree has more focus on developed economies in the Europe and USA for its revenues. It is still to establish a presence in emerging economies where it is currently perceived as an expensive option.
2. Expensive: Pedigree is priced at a higher range and in many countries where the culture of pet food has not established itself people prefer to give food cooked at home to their dogs than invest in expensive store-bought food.
3. Excessive focus on dog food: Though Pedigree Petfoods is a company that sells pet foods it is synonymous with the dog food which it sells under the same name. Other categories such as cat food which is sold under the name Wiska is not that popular.
4. Poor customer reviews: The customers are highly critical of Pedigree as well as other pet foods and the company faces a lot of criticism especially in online reviews and social media.
Pedigree Opportunities – Pedigree SWOT Analysis
1. Growing demand for pet food: There is an increase in the number of families owning pets. The information overload from the Internet and social media has made people more conscious about the well-being and health of their pets. This has made the customer focus on quality pet foods.
2. Increasing sales prospects in emerging economies: Countries like India, China and Brazil are going to be the most lucrative markets for pet food in the next decade. The upwardly mobile population and increasing awareness of importance of balanced nutrition will increase demand for branded pet food
3. Weight Management of Pets: The pet owner has become more aware of the management of weight in pets. When pets are fed regular home cooked food it is difficult to evaluate if they are balanced in terms of calories and nutrition.
Pedigree Threats – Pedigree SWOT Analysis
1. The threat of substitution: Pet foods are popular only amongst the urban elite population. For most other regions and demographic types, pet food still continues to be synonymous with home cooked food. Thus this becomes a substitute for pet food since it cheaper and easier to procure.
2. Competition: The major competitors of Pedigree Pet Food is Nestle Purina Limited and Procter & Gamble Iams. These brands offer stiff competition to Pedigree.
Pedigree SWOT Analysis Overview Template
This is the SWOT report that Pedigree has done. Please let us know if you have additional suggestions to add.
Let us know What do you think? Did you find the article interesting?
Write about your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.