MAC Cosmetics was first established in 1984 by a beauty therapist Frank Toskan and a salon manager Frank Angelo. The makeup artists at the time had a difficult time finding an alternative for their makeup that would stand up to the glare that comes from photography lighting. This resulted in the development of a brand new name for makeup MAC which was specifically catering to professional models that took to the runway, With a variety of makeup products for the eye, face, cheekbones eyebrows, lips, etc. It is well-known for its selection in mineral-based cosmetics. The brand was designed to appeal to women, however since it is awash in vivid hues and hues , it has also gained popularity among the younger generations.
This can only be achieved through a firm with extensive knowledge, experience, and innovative strategies. To determine the strengths of the company potential, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats, it is necessary to conduct a SWOT analysis by MAC Cosmetics.
MAC Cosmetics At A Glance – MAC Cosmetics SWOT Analysis
Company: Estée Lauder Companies
Founders: Frank Toskan | Frank Angelo
Year of establishment: 1984, Toronto, Canada
CEO: Fabrizio Freda
Headquarters: New York, New York, United States
Employees (Dec 2020): 10,836
Ticker Symbol: MAC
Annual Revenue (Dec 2020): US$6.3 Billion
Profit net income (Dec 2020): US$1 Billion
Products & Services: Lipstick | Pro Longwear Concealer | Studio Face and Body Radiant Sheer Foundation | Strobe Cream | Prep + Prime Lip | Lip Pencil | Eye Brows Big Boost Exclusive Fibre Gel | Mineralize Skinfinish Highlighter | Makeup and beauty products | Makeup services and more.
Company Website: MAC Cosmetics – Official Site
Top MAC Cosmetics Competitors
Competitors: Maybelline | Clinique | Revlon | L’Oreal | Lakme | NARS Cosmetics | Urban Decay Cosmetics | SEPHORA | Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics | Too Faced | Kat Von D Beauty | Sugarpill | Stila | tarte | Ulta Beauty |
MAC Cosmetics SWOT Analysis – SWOT Analysis Of IT MAC Cosmetics
SWOT Analysis Of MAC Cosmetics analyzes the brand based on its strengths weak points, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. With MAC Cosmetics SWOT Analysis it is clear that the advantages and disadvantages are internal factors, while threats and opportunities are external elements. Here we are going to talk about MAC Cosmetics SWOT Analysis. Below Is The Detailed SWOT Analysis Of MAC Cosmetics.
MAC Cosmetics Strengths – MAC Cosmetics SWOT Analysis
1. Connection to the fashion industry: The major cosmetics company MAC was originally designed for models of professional calibre, so that they were able to withstand the intense light and reflections from the runway. Their initial set of customers, who were stylists, models, models professionals, makeup artists, photographers, etc. The brand was introduced to the key fashion industry influencers such as editors and designers of fashion magazines with a cult following.
2. Employers: The employees of makeup are chosen with a great deal of attention to the smallest of details. They are mostly professional makeup professionals or artists who have the direct or indirect contact and have experience in this industry. They aren’t just experts in their field but also prospective customers and influencers.
3. The broad range of products: MAC Cosmetics offer many different cosmetics including lipsticks, blushers, lipsticks mascara, eyeliner concealers, foundation and eyeshadows. They also sell mineral-based makeup that can be found in all of these categories, and the majority of their makeup comes in both lotion and powder form.
4. Makeup that can be used for several sections: MAC is true to its tagline ‘All Ages. All races. All genders’ which creates makeup that caters to various groups. While MAC was designed specifically to be a feminine brand, its vivid colors and bright hues appealed to a younger crowd. MAC is thorough in its research of its products to make sure that they’re appropriate for all skin types and makes its cosmetics appropriate on women across all races as well as ethnicities and cultures and men too.
5. Unique lipsticks: MAC cosmetics are famous for their lipsticks that are designed specifically for the company. The distinctive features include the bullet shape as well as the texture. Packaging of the entire range MAC cosmetics in black cases is a trademark that distinguishes the brand.
MAC Cosmetics Weaknesses – MAC Cosmetics SWOT Analysis
1. Prices: MAC cosmetics are priced at a premium , and only those who are in a higher income bracket are able to afford their makeup. The brand is accessible to by a limited audience, consequently, the brand needs to depend on the value of sales.
2. Suitable to Caucasian toned skin: Mac Cosmetics developed based on studies conducted on Caucasians. They are better suited for those with white skin, and are not suitable for dark skin tones. These cosmetics aren’t widely used in Asia.
3. Inability to adjust to changing needs: The MAC Cosmetics have a difficult time trying to adjust to the changing market requirements. The cosmetics industry is brimming with a significant number of companies, as well as it is a marketplace is extremely fragmented. Inability to adapt with changing consumer demands is impacting the standing of MAC.
MAC Cosmetics Opportunities – MAC Cosmetics SWOT Analysis
1. A shift in the behavior of customers: Among the millennial generation the number of women who apply makeup frequently has grown. Because of the popularity of online shopping, people are eager to try different looks and make huge investments in cosmetics that are branded. This presents a huge potential for cosmetic companies.
2. Regional orientation: In many of the emerging economies such as India and China or India, the composition of the society is influenced by traditional celebrations, so the region’s orientation is essential. If MAC is able to think about each region , opportunities can grow for business.
MAC Cosmetics Threats – MAC Cosmetics SWOT Analysis
1. Competitors: The main competitors of MAC are Sephora, Clinique, Maybelline and L’Oreal.
2. Organic cosmetics: A growing number of customers are worried about health hazards of using of cosmetics that contain chemical ingredients. This is impacting the sales of brands of cosmetics in general.
MAC Cosmetics SWOT Analysis Overview Template
This is the SWOT report that MAC Cosmetics has done. Please let us know if you have additional suggestions to add.
Let us know What do you think? Did you find the article interesting?
Write about your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.