Home Depot SWOT Analysis analyzes, The Home Depot is known as the home of “more saving, more doing,” and is widely recognized as a leader in materials and equipment for personal home and property improvement. Sales for tools, lumber, hardware, paint, appliances, and more drive waves of customers into its stores every day.
Did you know? Following the opening of their first Home Depot, Bernie Marcus and Arthur Blank filled up the store with empty paint cans due to the fact that they didn’t have enough inventory.
Home Depot has revolutionized the industry of home improvement by fostering the do-it-yourself market. For more than 40 years, it has been growing slowly, while also destroying rivals in the process of becoming the second largest retailer within America and the biggest home improvement store with sales exceeding $100 billion.
This can only be achieved through a firm with extensive knowledge, experience and innovative strategies. To determine the strengths of the company potential, weaknesses, opportunities and threats, it is necessary to conduct a SWOT analysis by Home Depot.
Home Depot At A Glance – Home Depot SWOT Analysis
Company: Home Depot Inc.
Founders: Bernie Marcus | Arthur Blank
Year of establishment: 1978
CEO: Craig Menear
Headquarters: Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Employees (Dec 2020): 413,000
Ticker Symbol: HD
Annual Revenue (Dec 2020): US$110.23 Billion
Profit net income (Dec 2020): US$11.24 Billion
Products & Services: Tools & Equipment | Building Materials & Hardware | Fixtures | Garden & Lawn | Lumber | Plumbing | Electrical | Paint | Millwork | Flooring | Kitchens | Furniture
Company Website: www.homedepot.com
Home Depot Competitors
Competitors: Amazon | Lowe’s | JC Penney | Menards | 84 Lumber | Ace Hardware | Target | Walmart | Best Buy | Staples | Kingfisher PLC.
Home Depot SWOT Analysis – SWOT Analysis Of Home Depot
SWOT Analysis Of Home Depot analyzes the brand based on its strengths weak points, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. With Home Depot SWOT Analysis it is clear that the advantages and disadvantages are internal factors, while threats and opportunities are external elements. Here we are going to talk about Home Depot SWOT Analysis. Below Is The Detailed SWOT Analysis Of Home Depot.
Home Depot Strengths – Home Depot SWOT Analysis
1. The largest retailer: Size matters in business. Being the largest retailer of home improvements, Home Depot benefits more from economies of scale than other retailers. It also has the capacity to fight against competitors and safeguard their market share.
2. Highly profitable: More profits allow to build up cash for core functions such as R&D marketing, as well as expansion. Its gross income margin grew by 8.4 percent in 2016; 8.6 percent in 2017, 10.3 percent in 2018 and 10.9 percent in 2019.
3. Value for money: Regardless of the product or service, consumers will always look for the one that provides the best quality for their hard-earned money. Home Depot is obsessed with giving the best price and they have introduced the Match and Beat as a program. Customers compare the prices to other retailers when they shop while shopping. Home Depot will beat lower rivals’ prices by 10 percent.
4. Largest Choice: In the home improvement industry, Home Depot offers the most extensive selection. From construction tools to tools including fixtures, fasteners, furniture, and more, customers are able to access all of the exclusive home improvement items all in one place.
5. Outstanding Customer Service: This empowers the employees with their creativity and selflessness by recognizing. Then, Home Depot has nurtured an environment of superior customer service and is always striving to improve shoppers’ experience.
6. Effective BOPIS Strategy: Home Depot’s secret weapon is BOPIS (buy-online-pickup-in-store), which accounts for nearly 40% of online orders. The efficiency of the Home Depot’s BOPIS strategy has helped in its profit and expansion.
7. A Greater Focus on eCommerce: The majority of retailers began using eCommerce in 2000. However, Home Depot’s eCommerce sales were 1percent in 2010 and was around 6% in the early part of 2019. In the second half of 2019 the company shifted its focus on the field of eCommerce as well as digital transformation that has increased dramatically.
8. Excellent Human Resources Policies: Retail success is based on retention of highly-performing employees. Home Depot is renowned for providing for its employees. They recently began offering college tuition to employees to realize their goals.
9. Loyal Customer Base: From value for money to exceptional quality customer support, Home Depot’s customer-centric operations have helped build a strong, loyal and well-established customer base. The majority of customers are loyal to particular stores and will visit the same location for many years.
10. Eco-friendly Choices: Caring about the environment allows businesses to not just fulfill their social responsibility as a corporate entity, but also directly market to an ever-growing amount of environmentally conscious consumers. Home Depot’s Eco Program provides eco-friendly alternatives including energy efficient tools for customers who are eco-conscious.
11. Valued Brand: since its inception, Home Depot has focused on creating a solid and significant brand. Home Depot is listed as the 32 3rd most important brand around the globe.
Home Depot Weaknesses – Home Depot SWOT Analysis
1. Lack of Geographical Diversification: Home Depot operates a total of 2,200 stores across North America, with about 180 stores in Canada with the 125 stores in Mexico and the rest located in the US. Both U.S. and Canada reaching maturity and Mexican market is in turmoil . This is why Home Depot’s dependence upon North America a major weakness.
2. Aging Infrastructure: One of the most significant challenges for established retailers is their outdated systems and infrastructure. Home Depot invested over $10 billion for digital transformation The project could end up failing due to the aging infrastructure.
3. Negative Publicity: In the year 2018, Home Depot fired an employee for requesting an emergency break related to disability. The company was compelled to pay to pay $100K in settlement that tainted its name.
4. Early eCommerce Acceptance: While Home Depot’s eCommerce sales have grown dramatically over the first quarter of 2020, the company has adopted eCommerce later than many of its rivals. It’s missed a huge potential growth opportunities because it didn’t adopt eCommerce early enough.
Home Depot Opportunities – Home Depot SWOT Analysis
1. Expand Beyond North America: All of its 2,200 stores are located in North America, which is becoming more compact as it matures. Home Depot should be looking to expand its reach beyond North America and into emerging markets such as India, China And others that provide enormous opportunities to sustain growth.
2. Increase Online Sales: Home Depot’s online sales make up about 6% of its total sales, which is lower than the 10% average. The company’s recent push online has giving the company an advantage against competitors like Lowe’s. It has a huge potential for growth if it boosts the number of online sales.
3. Exploit Home Decor: Potential for expansion of the field of home decor is rapidly growing with key players such as Bed, Bath & Beyond confronting the challenges. Home Depot acquired The Company Store and is now in a position to profit from the ill fortunes of the players in the field of home decor.
4. Expand via Partnerships: Home Depot expanded to China and opened seven stores, but was forced out following the collapse of the store did not succeed in entice consumers . To increase its reach it is able to work with local home improvement stores in emerging markets that understand the needs of the market.
5. Expand through acquisitions: It’s quicker and more effective to grow by purchase. Home Depot can acquire the in a state of struggle Bed, Bath & Beyond You can accomplish two birds in one shot: capture the industry of home decor and stimulate growth.
6. Diversify Offer: Instead of focusing exclusively on home improvement, Home Depot can diversify its offerings to cater to the food retail industry or clothing.
Home Depot Threats – Home Depot SWOT Analysis
1. Intense Competition: Lowe’s is close to closing the gap with Home Depot at an alarming rate. In addition, Amazon poses a major threat to Home Depot’s market share.
2. Looming Recession: Major renovations and home construction are slowed down or delayed during times of economic hardship. With the recession looming In the wake of an outbreak, the Home Depot’s annual growth in profits could be over.
3. Price Deflation: The cost of lumber has sunk substantially over the past two years, which has affected Home Depot immensely since lumber is responsible for 18% of the company’s total revenues. The company did not meet expectations following the price of lumber dropped .
4. The possibility of strikes: The adoption of the USMCA has boosted the bargaining ability of employees. As of now, Home Depot employees in Mexico would like an increase of 20% in their pay in order to compete with those of their Northern colleagues.
Home Depot SWOT Analysis Template
This is the SWOT report that Home Depot has done. Please let us know if you have additional suggestions to add.
Let us know What do you think? Did you find the article interesting?
Write about your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.