1. Wide coverage in the food processing industry: General Mills has its presence in all aspects of food processing including cereals, baking items doughs, pastries, cakes fruit and ice creams, frozen meals and spreads, sauces and spreads pizza, pasta, yogurt soups, spices and vegetables. Thus General Mills can satisfy the end-to-end food requirements in a variety of categories.
2. Top-selling brands: The company has several brands that are popular not only the US but around the globe. A few of them are Cheerios, Bisquick, Yoplait and Saltena Saltena, Hiagen Dasz, Pillsbury, Betty Crocker and Cascadian Farm. Some companies can be considered the market leader in their field and in both the US as well as other regions of the world.
3. Attention to advertisements: The company is known for their advertising strategy. They have many iconic brand images, such as the Pillsbury dough man , who is recognized by even the youngest of children. Cheerios is also famous for its advertisements, some of which, like the one that shows an inter-racial family. Cheerios advertisements are also well-known for their vivid hues.
4. Popular among homemakers and kids: Many of the products made by General Mills are popular in their diverse areas of focus segments , particularly among children and homemakers. Brands such as Cheerios or Hiagan Dazs are very popular for kids. Betty Crocker recipes and the Pillsbury brand of flour offer a wide range of applications within the home, making it a popular choice for homemakers.
5. Making memories: General Mills’ products that have been a source of food for generations, and they’ve been able to effectively create memories that are passed down from one generation to the next. Alongside the memories, brands such as Cheerios or Pillsbury are also passed across generations, with the result that they’ve stayed their momentum over the course of the years.
General Mills Weaknesses – General Mills SWOT Analysis
1. A rise in the US dollar: General Mills has a number of business interests in countries outside of the United States. The rising value of the dollar’s value against other currencies in the world will negatively affect the overall growth of the company.
2. A slow growth rate in the segment of yogurt: One of the most important business lines that was part of General Mills was yogurts which were offered in light and regular segments. However, with the rising popularization of Greek yogurt, the sales of the other categories have decreased and impacted the sale of brands that make yogurt within the yogurt category.
3. Margins are low: The prices of food basic items like meat, milk and vegetables are currently in an inflationary state and the soaring prices is affecting margins negatively. The company’s top line growth has slowed dramatically due to the depressed margins worldwide.
4. The business is experiencing a decline across all focus areas: The focal areas of the company include ready-to-eat meals such as ice cream, yogurt and convenience meals, as well as flour and snacks. The overall business of all these categories is decreasing which poses a significant problem to General Mills.
General Mills Opportunities – General Mills SWOT Analysis
1. A decrease in interest in cooking: As more people are entering the workforce, the time and energy cooks require is decreasing. This has made them more dependent on pre-cooked meals and ready-to-eat meals.
2. The focus is upon emerging market: The focus of the General Mills is on emerging markets because the influences of Western cultural influences are making consumers in these countries feel more demand for food products that are processed.
General Mills Threats – General Mills SWOT Analysis
1. Competition: Some of the major competitors to General Mills are Kraft Foods, Mondelez, Kellogg’s and PepsiCo.
2. Health concerns are growing: The growing concerns regarding health and safety among consumers have created doubts in minds of the consumers regarding the health risks of eating processed foods.
General Mills SWOT Analysis Overview Template
This is the SWOT report that General Mills has done. Please let us know if you have additional suggestions to add.
Let us know What do you think? Did you find the article interesting?
Write about your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.