ESPN SWOT Analysis Analyzes, ESPN is the Multimedia Sports Entertainment Company which is owned by 80% of ABC, Inc., an indirect subsidiary of the Disney Company. Disney Company and 20 percent controlled by Hearst. In 1979 The company was established in 1979. It has emerged as a leader throughout the years in the field of sports broadcasting. It operates with over 30 television networks, over 130 websites, 90 broadband network and seven radio properties.
Did You Know?
In 1990, ESPN Inc added Major League Baseball to its lineup with the signing of a $400 million contract to broadcast the league’s games.
ESPN (originally an initialism for Entertainment and Sports Programming Network) is an American multinational basic cable sports channel owned by ESPN Inc., owned jointly by The Walt Disney Company (80%) and Hearst Communications (20%). When ESPN started in 1979 we were the Entertainment and Sports Programming Network (thus, ESPN). However, that name took too long to paint across our chests on game day, so we dropped it in 1985 and adopted a new corporate name — ESPN, Inc. — and a new logo. … Also, the Hearst Corporation has a 20% interest in ESPN.
This can only be achieved through a firm with extensive knowledge, experience and innovative strategies. To determine the strengths of the company potential, weaknesses, opportunities and threats, it is necessary to conduct a SWOT analysis by ESPN.
ESPN At A Glance – ESPN SWOT Analysis
Company: ESPN Inc.
Founders: Scott Rasmussen | Bill Rasmussen | Ed Eagan
Year of establishment: 7 September 1979, Bristol, Connecticut, United States
CEO: James Pitaro
Headquarters: Bristol, Connecticut, United States
Employees (Dec 2020): 4,000
Ticker Symbol: ESPN
Annual Revenue (Dec 2020): US$7.90 Billion
Profit net income (Dec 2020): US$2.08 Billion
Products & Services: Original video content | Live games | In-depth analysis | Sports news coverage | Scores | Highlights | Commentary for cricket, rugby, football, F1, kabaddi and more.
Company Website: ESPN: Serving sports fans. Anytime. Anywhere.
Top ESPN Competitors
Competitors: Fox Sports | Star Sports | Sky Sports | NBC Sports | Sony TEN | Eurosport | NEO Sports | Indirect Competitors | National Geographic
ESPN SWOT Analysis – SWOT Analysis Of ESPN
SWOT Analysis Of ESPN analyzes the brand based on its strengths weak points, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats. With ESPN SWOT Analysis it is clear that the advantages and disadvantages are internal factors, while threats and opportunities are external elements. Here we are going to talk about ESPN SWOT Analysis. Below Is The Detailed SWOT Analysis Of ESPN.
ESPN Strengths – ESPN SWOT Analysis
1. Strong Parent Company: ESPN is part of the renowned diversified worldwide entertainment Company, Walt Disney. Walt Disney operates in four segments Media Networks, Consumer products & Media, Parks & Resorts, and Studio Entertainment.
2. Broad Portfolio: ESPN is the leading multinational sports entertainment company with a large number of domestic as well as international channels and 50 business entities.
3. Renowned Network: It is the renowned 24 hours sports cable network reaching to the audiences of more than 60 countries globally. ESPN has been ranked 32nd in Forbes magazine list of World’s most valuable brands.
4. Wide Distribution: It has a wide presence in more than 200 countries globally with having sports rights of more than 130 League and sports globally. ESPN has offices in some of the prominent locations worldwide like New York City, Singapore, Mumbai, Bangalore, Sydney, Bristol, Melbourne, Hong Kong, London, Mexico City, Miami, Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo etc.
ESPN Weaknesses – ESPN SWOT Analysis
1. Product/ Service Myopia: ESPN is operating in one segment of business with a large number of channels and its revenue depends on the broadcasting and advertising rights of the entities related to sports industry which may over the period of time result into total failure.
2. Limited Viewership: Due to the fact that it broadcast limited number of sports and leagues, its TRP (Television rating point) go high only when there is some important and big sports event.
3. Decreasing income: The Company is witnessing a loss of income from last two financial years which is affecting the operations of the company.
4. Seasonality of the industry: Since Media Network revenues are subject to seasonal advertising patterns, change in viewership pattern and timing of broadcasting which in turn affect the revenues of the company.
ESPN Opportunities – ESPN SWOT Analysis
1. Diversifying its business: Since the company is operating in Television and broadcasting, rights of various sports & leagues and Marketing & advertising solutions but by diversifying its business in the infotainment industry wherein it may venture out into online spaces as well as broadcasting media with new genre of cable networks will help the company in competing effectively.
2. Broadening its product line: ESPN broadcast limited number of sports through its channels, so by increasing the coverage of various sports, it can create the niche for itself which will create the competitive advantage for the company.
ESPN Threats – ESPN SWOT Analysis
1. Online Streaming: With the advent of technology and rise of the online platforms it is becoming tough for the companies like ESPN to sustain in the market where a customer can watch anything live or at any suitable time as per their convenience.
2. Competition: Players from meta-markets and within the media & entertainment, infotainment industry are competing with each thereby eating each other’s market share.
3. Saturation in the Viewership: Due to the large number of channels broadcasting the same or similar sports events, changing formats of the games and evolving demand pattern has resulted into saturation in the viewership.
4. Changing Lifestyle: With the changing lifestyle of the people, migration from rural areas, people becoming more work-oriented, the advent of Social media platforms, and companies venturing out into the infotainment industry has resulted into challenging the status quo of the company in the format it operates in the industry.
ESPN SWOT Analysis Overview Template
This is the SWOT report that ESPN has done. Please let us know if you have additional suggestions to add.
Let us know What do you think? Did you find the article interesting?
Write about your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.